Wednesday, April 20, 2022

550. Foodie

 Yes, I am at times a foodie, but aren't we all?  Right now I crave

  • prune juice
  • English muffins
  • raisins in plain yogurt
The first is a new craving, the secønd a memory, and the third a new discovery.  But these replace foods I have long consumed but now reject ss boring:
  • kale and collards
  • triple-washed baby spinach salad greens
  • apples
  • bananas
But in my travels I have encountered marvels:
  • French goat cheese (chèvre)
  • French babas au rhum (sponge cake topped with whipped cream and a cherry)
  • Italian pasta (almost any kind)
  • Mexican pineapple (piña)         .            
  • Mexican flan
Yes, they can be found here, but it's not the same.

In eating, I am a child of the Midwest, where corn is plentiful. In late summer I love to eat corn on the cob, with butter and salt dripping down my chin. Elegant?  No.  But earthy and fun.

Finally, a foodie quiz:
  1. What is the largest nut?
  2. What food from the New World was at first thought to be an aphrodisiac in England and called a "love apple"?
  3. What common fruit, when introduced in the US in the 1930s. brought complaints from housewives that, no matter how long they cooked it, the skin or rind remained tough?
  4.  What language do "potato"and "tomato" come from?
I'll give the answers in the next post.  Meanwhile, fellow foodies, enjoy your meals.

4 comments:

  1. 1. donald j trump
    2. tomato?
    3. orange?
    4. i'd say a native language out of south or central america!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too steal a little thunder from Naqiya's comment...
    1. coconut?
    2.Cliff Browder
    3.Cliff Browdwe
    4.Aliens (who doesn't know that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. # 3 should read Browder. I remember my mother cooking him for hours with unsatisfactory results.

      Delete
  3. Its been a year since this blog was updated and no new post with answers published. That's understandable when owning a blog so long and updating many times. Perhaps the steam to update has diminished, maybe there hasn't been anything really to update it, but God forbid you are ill or worst and we may never know for some reason.

    I found your book "The Eye That Never Sleeps" while looking up info about the 1950s and gay slang at the time. From there I found this blog, and a wonderful interview you did I don't know when ago because the post had no publish date on it (which, as a millennial always online, I find absolutely ridiculous :c ). Now I am reading your postings here as I await for Amazon to restock on your books (the one mentioned above, and your New York series).

    I hope you are well, safe, and with friends <3
    As for the questions:
    1. I guess a coconut as someone else answered with too, haha! I mainly know the Planters Nuts.
    2. I feel like I read this in passing, and my memory is absolutely horrible, but I don't know if this can count as an "apple", but perhaps oysters? I know from a friend who was collaborating on a story with that oysters WERE tho seen as an aphrodisiac, but as an answer here, I dont know.
    3. I could not think of any fruits that could fit this, I'm not knowledgeable and a lot of things, but different types of fruit? I had to looked up fruits and images of them to see if I knew them or not, and I want to say cantaloupe. I don't see why anyone would want to cook a fruit though? Shows how much I'm aware of, ha!
    4. Irish perhaps? That's a bit too basic, I know, but why not the people who do the most and best with both.

    I look forward for news and new posts whenever they may come!

    ReplyDelete