Sunday, January 9, 2022

542. Stingy Wednesday: The Answer to Giving Tuesday


              STINGY  WEDNESDAY

THE  ANSWER  TO  GIVING  TUESDAY


Giving Tuesday, the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving, brings out the Scrooge in me.  I do give to worthy nonprofits, who then give or sell my name to other worthy nonprofits.  Result: I am constantly bombarded by appeals for money.  

There is no way I could give to them all, but they keep after me with letters, ads, and phone calls, assuring me it is the right thing to do, since it will make for a better world.

These appeals have reached the point where I rebel. I know their game, and when approached, recognize it and turn savage.  Openings like these enrage me:

  • Last chance ...
  • Only 24 hours left ...
  • Act now! ...
  • Your gift will be doubled if you ...
Giving Tuesday indeed!  How about Giving Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday?  I am harassed on every day of the week, especially during the holidays.  What to do?

I propose that the Wednesday following Giving Tuesday become Stingy Wednesday, on which everyone vows to give not one cent to anyone.  Be selfish.  Read Ayn Rand.  Be a Scrooge.  Above all, keep in mind: There is no one to love you like yourself.  

And don't feel apologetic about it. Enjoy being a Scrooge.  It's fun.  And try to out-Scrooge everyone else.  That's fun, too.  Your ego will take wings and soar. Left behind: your tormentors, and all the cunning promoters of Giving Tuesday and their well-meaning, namby-pamby dupes.

File:George c scott as scrooge.jpg
attribution: Robert Doucette

 
©  2022  Clifford Browder




No comments:

Post a Comment