Sunday, January 10, 2021

491. Twelve Things I Hate


BROWDERBOOKS

Again, lots to report.  So much, that I can barely keep the titles and developments straight.  

  • My first nonfiction titleNo Place for Normal: New York / Stories from the Most Exciting City in the World, is available from Indies Unlimited for $14.95 for the month of January.  Go here and scroll down to the Comments.

  • My current nonfiction title, New Yorkers: A Feisty People Who Will Unsettle, Madden, Amuse and Astonish You, is on a virtual book tour all the month of January.  Hopefully, some book blogs will decide to feature it, or invite me to do a guest post.  Go here and scroll down.
  • My other nonfiction title, Fascinating New Yorkers: Power Freaks, Mobsters, Liberated Women, Creators, Queers and Crazies, will be published by me later this year with BooksGoSocial in a second edition.  I'm working on the front cover now, want to make it exceptional.
  • My historical novel Forbidden Brownstones will be released next Tuesday, January 12.  I will announce it in a media release.


            TWELVE  THINGS  I  HATE


We all have things that we hate, loathe, and detest.  We may or may not be able to explain these loathings, but they sometimes shape our lives.  I've whittled my list down to twelve.

  • bubblegum
  • wienies
  • Brits who say “You Americans…”
  • baseball
  • pop-up ads
  • child-proof bottle caps
  • bland cheeses
  • bland people
  • seminars in ecstatic relationships
  • towels that say LOVE
  • foundations for the advancement of bliss
  • liver
If anyone questions why, I can explain each item.  But most, I think, are self-explanatory.  

Purged from the list are these:
  • The Star-Spangled Banner.  Don't hate it, just have trouble singing it.
  • jackhammers.  Doesn't everyone?
  • computers.  They harass me, but I've ranted against them enough.
  • navels.  When visible, yes.  Freudian analysis needed to explain this one.
  • the academic mind.  Upstaged by baseball and liver.
  • bullies.  Too common, too easy.

And now, to show that my mentality isn't totally negative, here are some positives: 

              TWELVE  THINGS  I  LOVE

  • sesame seed bagels
  • old books and brandy on a winter night with a howling wind outside
  • dancing to hot, jazzy music
  • slime molds
  • babas au rhum, their whipped cream topped with a cherry
  • Gregorian chants
  • wild raspberries, plump and juicy, begging to be picked
  • dancing silver dots of light on water: the face of God
  • sharks (lithe and sensual, but with a thick partition between us) 
  • tangy cheeses
  • tangy people
  • sleep

Again, I can explain any item that isn't obvious.

Purged from the list:

  • dividends.  Who wouldn't love them?
  • Bach and Vivaldi.  Ditto.
  • quiet.  Upstaged by sharks and slime molds.

So how about you?  What are your hates and loves?  The weirder and more obsessed, the better.


©  2021  Clifford Browder


#cliffbrowderbooks




3 comments:

  1. Cliff, and why do you hate bubblegum, wienies and baseball?
    Not that I object to your preferences, just curious...

    By the way, I too hate liver, but I have an explanation: it's the worst food of all (haha), so disgusting it makes me sick! So, you know, your explanation for your dislikes need not be rational, but that would be the fun part about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubblegum is a sticky mess. I know what's in wienies -- awful stuff! I was lousy at baseball as a kid; hated it. Also, as a game it is often boring -- little action. As for liver, I dislike its taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, you make a lot of sense.
    I guess, of all the readers of this blog, we are the only ones with dislikes.

    ReplyDelete